Sunday, March 27, 2011

Founding Fathers


In almost everything we do, we are guided along the way. Athletes are no exception. No athlete picks up a sport and just runs with it. Sports would essentially be non-existent if it were not for the ones who teach the younger generations. The passion for sports is generally taught to you, usually by a father. Dads all over the world, everyday, are teaching their kids how to play sports. One may think Tiger Woods teed of one day and was a natural golfer, however, it was the enforcement of his father who coached him to the pros. The William's sisters are a similar case, spending countless hours on the tennis court with their father. Even Ken Griffey Jr., who was not only coached by his father, but had the opportunity to play with him. Although the likeliness of a child becoming a professional athlete is extremely unlikely, the relationship between child and father, or child and mother is an important part of sports to all kids. 

In some cases, amateur athletes are given the opportunity to not only be taught by their parent, but coached by them as well. For all my life I have had the benefit of having my dad as my coach. As a child himself, he developed a passion for the game of soccer. It was only natural that he would teach me to love the game as he did. Since I was four, he attended every practice and game, primarily as a coach. Now in high school, I am fortunate enough to have him on the sidelines as the head coach of the high school team. I'm not going lie, it's interesting. He's harder on me than everyone else, and watching tape at home isn't exactly fun. But I wouldn't want it any other way. To hold my hand and to tell me I'm always doing a good job would never get me anywhere on the soccer in life. My friends often ask what's it like having my dad as a coach. It's really simple, on the soccer field he's dad and coach, and at home he's just dad. 

This past fall, my dad received the Northeast Conference Coach of the Year Award. The fact that he is humble about the honor often surprises me; to know that you are the best at what you do in comparison to your opponents and colleagues is something, in my opinion worth sharing from time to time. The fact that he received the award doesn't exactly surprise me; he's my "coach of the year" every year. 

2 comments: